Greenhouse vegetable production in Canada
Greenhouse fruit and vegetables accounted for $1.6 billion in farm cash receipts in 2019, an increase of 5.0% from 2018. Sales of greenhouse fruit and vegetables have increased for the sixth consecutive year. Canadian greenhouse vegetable exports rose 4% to reach over $1.0 billion in 2018, accounting for 42% of all fresh produce (fruit, greenhouse and field vegetables, potato) exports.
Canadian Greenhouse Fruit and Vegetable Statistics
- Number of fruit and vegetable greenhouse farms in Canada: 838
- Harvested area (square meters): 17,548,499
- Production volume (kilograms): 660,507,922
- Total employees, annual: 12,492
- Total employees, seasonal: 5,145
- Exports – greenhouse tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers ($ x 1,000): 1,001,911
- Greenhouse vegetable export destinations ($ x 1,000): U.S.: 995,040; Japan: 5,841; Taiwan: 641; Hong Kong: 373
- Top greenhouse farm gate value by province: Ontario: 65%; BC: 19%; Quebec: 9.3%; Alberta: 5.4%
- Farm gate value ($ x 1,000): 1,580,837
- Top farm gate value by commodity ($ x 1,000): Tomato: 588,518; Cucumbers: 485,815; Peppers: 441,679; Lettuce: 35,396; Eggplants: 10,560; Fresh fine herbs: 10,348
- Green indicates an increase from the previous reporting period.
- Red indicates a decrease from the previous reporting period.